How to do Business Casual for Men
The Evolution of Business Casual
The appearance of business casual in the workplace dates back to Silicon Valley in the 1980's. A whole crop of companies dedicated to innovation rather than tradition were born and they needed an appropriate wardrobe to go with the new attitude. Out went the pinstriped suits and power ties and in came the khakis and polos. Over time other companies adopted some of these tenants and casual Fridays and a more relaxed approach to dressing seemed to take over the business world. Currently, with more people working from remote settings and a more relaxed atmosphere in Corporate America, understanding how to dress in casual settings is essential. This is definitely not a one size fits all formula. While sneakers and hoodies may work for some offices they would never be appropriate in others. However, if you build the foundation of a business casual wardrobe, you can tailor it as you see fit. Here are the tools to help guide you.
Solid Rules to Follow
Start with the basics and go from there. The key pieces you need to build a business casual wardrobe begin with a pair of flat front pants and a button-down shirt. This uniform can be dressed up for a more classically corporate office with a sportcoat, tie and loafers or dressed down for a more casual environment with cool sneakers and a sweater. The most important thing is that the pieces are well fitting and tailored for you. Additionally, having a dress code can make getting ready in the morning a whole lot easier.
Business Casual Essentials
- Ermenegildo ZegnaWhite Tonal Striped Tailored Fit Sport Shirt$197.99$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL | XXLPT Pantaloni TorinoSand Stretch Cotton & Silk Slim Fit Pant$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:30-R | 32-R | 34-R | 35-R | 36-R | 38-R | 40-RErmenegildo ZegnaOlive & Light Gray Check Tailored Fit Sport Shirt$224.99$375SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL | XXLPT Pantaloni TorinoStone Stretch Cotton & Silk Slim Fit Pant$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:30-R | 32-R | 34-R | 35-R | 36-R | 38-R | 40-RErmenegildo ZegnaLight Gray Linen Blend Tailored Fit Sport Shirt$197.99$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL | XXL | XXXL
- Ermenegildo ZegnaBeige Cashco Regular Fit Pant$550SHOP NOWSizes in stock:34-R | 36-R | 38-R | 40-R | 44-RErmenegildo ZegnaBlue & Brown Linen Blend Plaid Sport Shirt$236.99$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:M | XL | XXLBrunello CucinelliBrown Striped Slim Fit Sport Shirt$297.99$595SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL | XXLMichael BastianWhite Poplin Short Sleeve Sport Shirt$68.99$98SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | MCanaliBlue Flat Front Stretch Cotton & Silk Pant$197.99$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:36-R
- HiltlLight Gray Linen & Cotton Five Pocket Pant$175.99$235SHOP NOWSizes in stock:36-R | 40-R
- PT Pantaloni TorinoJazz Khaki Stretch Twill Five Pocket Pant$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:30-R | 32-R | 33-R | 34-R | 35-R | 36-R | 38-R | 40-RBrunello CucinelliOff-White Linen & Cotton Crease Pant$362.99$725SHOP NOWSizes in stock:30-R | 32-R | 34-R | 36-R
- J.W. BrineNew Drake Paglia Stretch Cotton Cargo Pant$174.99$350SHOP NOWSizes in stock:30-R | 32-R | 34-R | 35-R | 36-R
Solid Rules to Break
The most important thing is to get a gauge on how other people are dressing and follow suit. While jeans and sneakers may be the norm in many offices, for others that will never fly. But no matter how casual the office, it is still a place of business and looking like you just rolled in from the gym doesn't ever work. If you are able to wear more casual pieces to the office, they need to be neat and sleek. Suede sneakers, a cashmere hoodie, a slim jogger, these can work very well for work as long as they fit well. Same goes for denim; distressed ripped jeans and an old t-shirt should be relegated to weekend ware while dark denim and a soft sportcoat is a great choice for a casual type of office.
Dress it up
Add these pieces for a Classic Corporate Culture.
- Di BiancoCosmos Navy Blue Suede Penny Loafer$397.99$795SHOP NOWSizes in stock:8.5-D | 9-D | 10.5-D
- BrioniGray Silk & Cotton Jersey Sportcoat$1,599.99$3,200SHOP NOWSizes in stock:40-R | 41-RBrunello CucinelliChocolate Brown Suede Penny Loafer$476.99$795SHOP NOWSizes in stock:10.5-D
- Di BiancoMedium Brown Suede Derby Shoe$397.99$795SHOP NOWSizes in stock:9-D | 10.5-D | 11-D
- GravatiMedium Brown Suede Penny Loafer$374.99$625SHOP NOWSizes in stock:11-M | 11.5-MEtroNavy Cotton, Cashmere & Silk Herringbone Sportcoat$862.99$1,725SHOP NOWSizes in stock:40-RTo Boot New YorkEnzo Navy Blue Suede Penny Loafer$398SHOP NOWSizes in stock:8.5-D | 10-D | 11-D | 11.5-D | 12-D
Dress it down
Add these for a Casual Creative Culture
- Maurizio BaldassariGray Cotton Front Zip Hoodie$209.99$350SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | L | XLCommon ProjectsAchilles Navy Blue Suede Low Top Sneaker$256.99$428SHOP NOWSizes in stock:8-M | 9-M
- Ermenegildo ZegnaBlue Wool Quarter-Zip Pullover$536.99$895SHOP NOWSizes in stock:M | XLTo Boot New YorkPacer Light Gray Suede Sneaker$350SHOP NOWSizes in stock:8-M | 10-D | 11-D | 11.5-DPeter MillarCrown Charcoal Gray Wool & Silk Soft Vest$130SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL | XXLErmenegildo ZegnaGray Wool Waffle Knit Quarter-Zip Pullover$497.99$995SHOP NOWSizes in stock:L | XXL
- To Boot New YorkColton Avion Slate Blue Suede Lace-Up Sneaker$244.99$350SHOP NOWSizes in stock:9.5-DBrunello CucinelliOat Cotton Ribbed Full Zip Cardigan$637.99$1,275SHOP NOWSizes in stock:M | L | XXLVinceCoastal Blue Cashmere Hooded Front Zip Cardigan$395SHOP NOWSizes in stock:S | M | L | XL
- BelstaffTrailmaster Dusk Gray Waterproof Jacket$397.99$795SHOP NOWSizes in stock:M | L